Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"C" is for Ceiling Fan

John checked off a major project on the "honey-do" list this weekend: hanging the fan in our living room.  I think I purchased fans for the house in 2009, but it's taken a bit of time for us to get around to this particular one.  We actually had a running joke that the goal was to have the fan hung before all of the lights on the existing chandelier burned out.  Out of 16 lights we were down to three. 

Now I know hanging a fan sounds like simple enough task, and more than one person told us to just lean a 24 foot ladder against the ceiling--but if you've ever seen our living room, you know you'd have to be certifiably crazy to attempt the installation with just a ladder.  Even a contractor that bid the project wasn't comfortable with a ladder setup for our 18-foot ceiling, so John rented scaffolding from Home Depot.  It was 45 bucks for a week, which isn't too bad for a DIY project.  My dad came by to help too, since I'm pretty worthless when it comes to heavy lifting or climbing.  Although my nurse midwife hasn't specifically prohibited these activities, I'm going to make a reasonable assumption that they are are off limits at 9+ months preggo.

So here's how the project went.

First tier of scaffolding.  I helped with this one.

Second tier.  You're on your own, John.

Third tier.  Please excuse my fat feet in the bottom left corner.  I had some swelling issues.

Wiring for the fan

Ta-da!  The remote and fan work.

1 comment:

  1. It always feels so good to get those kind of projects finished!! We just rented a ladder from HD to paint, but I'm thinking the scaffolding would have been a much better idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...