Monday, May 3, 2010

"C" is for Clutter

Get excited--I'm back on the ""C" is for..." wagon. This past weekend we decluttered the house and participated in the neighborhood garage sale.  It was a HUGE success!  We sold the Explorer and John's big brown couches almost immediately.

Selling the Explorer was the most exciting part of the day.  A 15½-year old girl found one of my formal beaded gowns, and we let her try it on before buying it.  While she was inside, her dad talked to John about buying the Explorer.  She was so excited about the dress, she didnt' realize her dad had purchased the car until she was waiting for him at the end of our driveway.  Once it hit her, she was SO happy.  She ran up and gave her dad a huge hug and said thank you.  She had the biggest smile on her face.  She's in the color guard at high school, so the Explorer is perfect for hauling her flags. 

(Note: This is not the guy who bought the car.)


In addition to my mom making the garage sale possible by helping with setup, pricing, and sales, we had two other helpers, Logan and Zachry.


We only had one small scare with the money.  Near the end of the day I counted up the cash and stuffed it in a shelf in the garage behind the checkout table.  There were multiple paint trays on the shelf, and when I went back to get the money I looked under the wrong paint tray.  My mom, John, and I all frantically looked for the money only to find it right where I left it, hidden on the bottom shelf.  Whew!

We shut down a little early that afternoon to inventory the remaining items.  Next we'll donate everything that's left to Domestic Violence Intervention Services, Inc. (DVIS).  DVIS provides support for survivors of domestic and sexual violence in the Tulsa community.

I think a lot of good came out of the garage sale: we got rid of a lot of stuff; a very sweet girl got a new dress and car; and we will be able to donate back to the community through DVIS.

A huge thank you to my mom and John for all their help with the sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...