Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"C" is for Couch to 5K

I officially started the Couch to 5K (C25K) program.  John and I started getting up early again last week, and I was able to easily do our 30 minute routine around the neighborhood.  We had started jogging a couple weeks before I knew I was pregnant, but when I had to stop at every corner to rest, I knew something was wrong.  Needless to say between the fatigue and nausea associated with my first trimester, I've been unable to do any sort of meaningful workout.  But I'm in the middle of my second trimester now and feeling like I should get back into the groove of things before I turn into a huge watermelon.

I know how workout regiments go: super-motivated at first, followed by a quick decline back to couch potato status.  I'm hoping the slow progression, short 9-week program, and blast on my blog will make me stick with it.  I also downloaded the RunKeeper app for my iPhone and created coaching intervals for each week of the C25K.  Spending $10 on an iPhone app makes me wanna throw something, but I'm using it as additional motivation.  So far I really like RunKeeper.  It tracks my time, distance, pace, speed, calories, and elevation with GPS and, most importantly, gives audible cues for changing pace.  RunKeeper also syncs automatically with RunKeeper.com.  I know there are other programs out there to track running progress (Nike+ anyone?), but at least this is a start!

Click here to follow my progress.



P.S. Thanks, Kristen, for constantly posting running updates to your blog, which motivated me to get back out there to chase that running high.  I've finally stopped making excuses and hope to accomplish this goal both pre and post-baby.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for you! Do what you can while your preggo! My dr says " you'll know!" when to stop.

    So, next year we're doing the Tulsa run together? Sounds great!

    Good luck and do keep a weekly update! I can't wait to follow your training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to run 5ks almost every day in college; you'll do well; I have no doubt! I use mapmyrun.com and their app. That way I can change up my run and it just follows where I go. When I have a bad signal, I just enter it manually when I get home.. Not that I've been running lately....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...